In this article we will show you how to connect your GoDaddy domain name with a VPS droplet from DigitalOcean.
So lets begin.
1. Go to your DigitalOcean control panel and create a new droplet (click on the green button Create and choose Droplet)
2. Choose the options
The main options here are to choose an OS, choose the resources that you might need and then select a data center location where you want the droplet to be created. It is advised to be as close to your main target visitors as possible.
3. Wait till the doplet is created
Choose a name for the droplet that will be easy to recognize. In my case I ll call it 'crazyhostguy' since I'll connect crazyhostguy.com
It should look like this when the droplet is created. Make a note or copy the IP address.
4. Go to Netowking > Domains
5. Add a new domain
6. Go to Networking and click on your domain name
7. Create a new A record for the domain
First add the non-www by adding @ in the hostname and push the blue button create record.
Then add the WWW version as well. In the hostname enter www and click create record again.
Both those should be A records.
Now the domain is added to the droplet. It is time to point it to DigitalOcean from GoDaddy.
8. Head to your GoDaddy domain manager
Here you should see all your domains like in the image. Select the domain you want to point to DO.
9. Click on the domain and scroll down till you see Manage DNS
10. Click and scroll down to Manage Nameservers
11. Click on Change, choose Custom from the drop down and enter your Digital Ocean nameserves here
DigitalOcean name servers are by default:
12. Wait 10 minutes for GoDaddy to refresh the DNS settings and the Manage DNS should look like this:
13. Then you should wait for your ISP to propaganate the new DNS, could take from 5 minutes to 24 hours.
14. To check if your new domain is pointed to the DigitalOcean servers you can go to check-host.net and check the domain. Should look something like this:
15. Do not forget to add both the www and non-www version of your site
If you haven't added it, when check with check-host you will see something like this:
To sum it up
What you have to do is create a droplet in DigitalOcean and then add your domain name to the droplet in the Networking tab. You have to add both the non-www and www versions so the domain will be pointed correctly. You have to set the A records for those two to the IP of the droplet that DigitalOcean assigned to it.
Then from your GoDaddy domain manager you have to go to ManageDNS and chnage the defult GoDaddy name servers with those of DigitalOcean. Save it and you are done.
Wait for up to 24 hours and test the domain with check-host.net If all done correclty the domain should point to the servers of DigitalOcean in the city you have selected.
If you still have any questions about the setup or you get stuck on some step, write below in the comments and we'll get you sorted.
Check top5hosting often for more tips and tutorials on the best web hosting sevices in the UK.