E-Mail Hosting – What You Need to Know About this Service
Everyone nowadays has his or her own email. However, while most people are familiar with using free web-based email services such as Yahoo Mail, MSN or Gmail, there are those individuals and businesses that require a lot more from their email provider. From an email address that is capable of having their website or brand name on it to a large inbox that can store and keep track of all emails sent and received, these people require a service that can meet these needs. This is where email hosting services come into the picture.
Email Hosting Defined
E-mail Hosting – What Goes On Behind the Scenes
To service their clients, email hosting companies provide a more advanced set of email solutions that are hosted on dedicated custom servers. By having different and unique server platforms, email hosting companies are capable of addressing the different demands of their clients. This can cover increased security, bigger mailboxes, more email users as well as improved email filtering and organization.
While email hosting companies are able to provide standard email hosting, they’re also capable of utilizing POP3-based emails. They can also utilize emails that use open source webmail applications.
Why Having Your Own Email Hosting is Important
Whether it’s business or personal, people still rely on sending emails to communicate and get their messages across. The convenience of being able to type in what you have to say and have your recipient receive it at once is priceless. It’s this speed and efficiency in sending emails that have allowed people to maintain a good level of communication all throughout. Of course, effective communication isn’t the only important thing that you can get from having your own email hosting.
Listed here are some of the other benefits you can enjoy if you invest in having your own email hosting provider:
- Speed of Communication. Before the dawn of the internet, people had to wait months to get letters and correspondences across to their intended recipients, especially if these recipients are located in a different state or country. That changed with the birth of the email.
With email hosting services, information can be transmitted at the click of a button allowing your clients to get your entire message in minutes. It also enables you to attach files and documents as support to your email exchanges.
Email hosting services offer's improved tracking of all conversations making it easier to provide timely response to address any issues at hand.
- Promotes Transparency. The great thing about emails is that each one you get is automatically stored in your inbox. Unlike phone conversations, emails are written giving you the benefit of leaving a paper trail of all your correspondence. The only time you’ll lose any of them is if you intentionally remove your emails from your inbox.
Email hosting also gives you the benefit of being able to go through your emails using their search tool. Plus, they also serve as virtual storage space eliminating the need to print documents and store them in your cabinets or drawers.
- Cost Effective Means of Communication. Whether paid or free, email hosting is by far one of the most cost-effective forms of communication that you can use to reach out to your customers. All you have to do is to complete your registration with an email hosting provider and you’re good to go.
Prior to sending out emails to customers, businesses had to shell out money to create, print and distribute their collaterals to clients. While the creation and printing of these marketing materials alone proved costly, the added cost of having them shipped made it even worse. Email hosting has solved this by giving businesses a way to send out their marketing materials online without having to worry about printing and shipping.
- Improved Marketing. These days, companies can disseminate information using email marketing tools that enable them to send out email newsletters to their list of subscribed customers. All they have to do is to the gather the list of recipients, prepare an email and then send it out. Customers will immediately receive these emails giving businesses a quicker and better chance of generating a reaction from them.
While some companies still send out marketing materials by mail, email has now given them a less expensive way of keeping their customers up to date about the latest news and promotions.
- Better Security and Protection. Email hosting services are able to provide better protection, ensuring that any information you’re sending will not be easily compromised. This heightened level of security is made possible through the use of IMAP and POP protocols.
These tools protect the data being transmitted by preventing unauthorized parties from accessing and stealing the information contained in the email you’re sending. Data is automatically encrypted to prevent anyone from viewing your email while in transit and until it reaches your recipient’s inbox.
- Enhanced Virus and Spam Protection. Emails nowadays have the capability to transmit viruses or to take confidential and personal information. To avoid compromising your security, email hosting providers have built-in virus and spam protection into their system.
With their anti-virus and anti-spam features, email providers are able to track and block any malicious file or suspicious email and keep them from coming back. Most email hosting companies can automatically do this for you to keep you from having to check and delete each one manually.
- Bigger Mailbox Storage Space. Unlike most free webmail sites, email hosting companies are able to provide bigger space to store all emails you’ve accumulated.
Since most people want to have the benefit of storing all email correspondences, a bigger inbox space allows them to do just that and avoid the pain of filtering which ones are important and those that need to be deleted from file.
The large inbox space also ensures that all your emails are coming in and prevents any email from being blocked by your email system.
- Secure Sharing of Contact Information. The ability to share your address book and contacts with other colleagues within your company is what makes email hosting stand out.
Once you add a new contact, that contact’s information can be shared automatically with other people saved in your address box. This eliminates the hassle of having to inform all your contacts of the new personnel that has been added to your list. This also allows your new contact to see the other people listed in your address book as well.
Today’s Popular Email Hosting Providers
With the proliferation of email hosting companies, it’s hard to keep track of those that provide quality hosting service. To eliminate the time allotted just to the right one, here are a number of email hosting providers that have garnered positive reviews which you can turn to:
- Zoho Mail. Zoho provides a complete email hosting solution suitable for professionals and small businesses. It offers 10 free email accounts upon registration along with a variety of features such as document manager that allows you to edit text documents and spreadsheets and an online calendar that lets you schedule meetings.
- Pobox. Affordable and simple, Pobox offers email inboxes which can store up to 50GB worth of emails. It comes with the basic email functionality such as mail forwarding, business hosting and inbox customization. Pobox provides users with two webmail interfaces – Atmail and Roundcube - along with IMAP and POP security tools. It also provides personal domains to make each user recognizable and unique from the rest.
- FastMail. FastMail lives by its name by delivering fast and reliable email hosting service. It offers a wide range of email hosting features that make it perfect for an individual email user or businesses. Some of the tools offered by FastMail include a calendar and contact list that can be synced to your mobile device, an email management with intuitive interface, FTP and WebDAV access and a mobile app to help manage your FastMail tools better.
- Google Apps for Work. Google Apps for Work is a more advanced and complex version of Google’s free web-based email – Gmail. Once set up, Google Apps for Work allows users to access its various online tools such as Google Drive for file sharing and collaboration; Google Calendar for scheduling meetings and project deadlines; Gmail for sending and receiving emails; and Google Sites for creating intranet-friendly websites that can be made specifically accessible only to your contacts.
Email hosting companies are able to do more than just provide individuals and businesses with their own unique email address. They also offer the a wide selection of email tools and security features that allow you customize and organize your inbox while ensuring that all your correspondence and files are kept secure at all times.